Letter to Editor
South Asia is more vulnerable to COVID-19 pandemic
Hom Nath Chalise*
Published: 22 May, 2020 | Volume 4 - Issue 1 | Pages: 046-047
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) which originated in China spread progressively all over the world . On 11th March 2020 WHO declared COVID-19 outbreaks as a pandemic . As of 22nd May 2020, there have been more than 5.3 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, with more than 340 thousand deaths and more than 2.2 million recovered . Slowly, South Asia is also entering the ranks of COVID-19 affected regions. This region comprises more than 21% of the world’s population which remains vulnerable to COVID-19 .
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
- Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, Ren L, Zhao J, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020; 395: 497-506. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31986264
- WHO announces COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. Date 2020. Date accessed 5th May, 2020. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/news/news/2020/3/who-announces-covid-19-outbreak-a-pandemic
- Worldometer, coronavirus, COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?
- SAARC disaster management center, coronavirus disease (COVID-19) SAARC Region. http://www.covid19-sdmc.org/
- Chalise HN. COVID-19 situation in Nepal. Arch Psychiatr Ment Health. 2020; 4: 033-034.
- Chalise HN. COVID-19 situation and challenges of Nepal. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2020.
- World Bank. Physicians (per 1,000 people) accessed through https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS
- Gautam R, Sharma M. 2019-nCoV Pandemic: A disruptive and stressful atmosphere for Indian academic fraternity. Brain Behav Immun. 2020; PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7151469/
- Sharma S, Sharma M, Singh G. A chaotic and stressed environment for 2019-nCoV suspected, infected and other people in India: fear of mass destruction and causality. Asian J Psychiatr. 2020; 51: 102049. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7146677/
- Garfin DR, Silver RC, Holman EA. The novel coronavirus (COVID-2019) outbreak: Amplification of public health consequences by media exposure. Health Psychol. 2020. 39: 355-357. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32202824
- Lima CKT, de Medeiros Carvalho PM, Lima IAS, de Oliveira Nunes JVA, Saraiva JS, et al. The emotional impact of Coronavirus 2019-nCoV (new Coronavirus disease). Psychiatry Res. 2020: 287: 112915. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7195292/