Prevalence of PTSD symptoms in children: The cost of the inadequate mental health system in Pakistan
Published: 15 June, 2022 | Volume 6 - Issue 1 | Pages: 029-031
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a disorder that affects not only military veterans but also the general public specifically children. They may replay the event and its aftermath, avoid talking about it, have low self-esteem, and be unable to develop meaningful connections. Mentally sick individuals in Pakistan frequently face an obstacle, as discussing mental health is taboo. Mentally ill people are publicly humiliated in Pakistan, and sufferers are occasionally referred to as “pagal.” Even parents ignore the symptoms of their children.
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
Childhood abuse; Inter-parental conflict; Mental health; Pakistan
- DSM-5 Criteria for PTSD. BrainLine. 2019.
- Hussain F. Trauma: The real cost of unending war and disaster in Pakistan. DAWN.COM.
- Demographics of suicide terrorism. DAWN.COM. 2010.
- Naeem F, Ayub M, Masood K, Gul H, Khalid M, Farrukh A, Shaheen A, Waheed W, Chaudhry HR. Prevalence and psychosocial risk factors of PTSD: 18 months after Kashmir earthquake in Pakistan. J Affect Disord. 2011 Apr;130(1-2):268-74. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2010.10.035. Epub 2010 Nov 10. PMID: 21071091.
- Ali M, Farooq N, Bhatti MA, Kuroiwa C. Assessment of prevalence and determinants of posttraumatic stress disorder in survivors of earthquake in Pakistan using Davidson Trauma Scale. J Affect Disord. 2012 Feb;136(3):238-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2011.12.023. Epub 2011 Dec 29. PMID: 22209270.
- Ayub M, Poongan I, Masood K, Gul H, Ali M, Farrukh A, Shaheen A, Chaudhry HR, Naeem F. Psychological morbidity in children 18 months after Kashmir Earthquake of 2005. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2012 Jun;43(3):323-36. doi: 10.1007/s10578-011-0267-9. PMID: 22080367.
- Nawaz MA, Saeed L, Mushtaque I. Mediating Role of Spousal Support on Internalized Stigma and Marital Satisfaction among depressive Patients. Review of Education, Administration & LAW. 2021;4(4):561-572.
- Gauhar M. Conflict and trauma in Pakistan. Daily Times. 2017.